An Extensive Epidural Abscess of Cervicothoracic Spine Resolved by a Combined Approach – a Case Report
Authors: J. Šrámek, J. Kryl, P. Šebesta
Authors - sphere of activity: 1ProSpine Clinic, Bogen, Germany; 2Faculty of Biomedical Ingeneering, Czech Technical University in Prague; 3Department of Spinal Surgery, Teaching Hospital Motol, Prague; 4Department of Orthopedics, The Melnik Hospital
Article: Cesk Slov Neurol N 2012; 75/108(3): 378-380
Category: Case Report
Number of articles displayed: 284x
This case report describes a methodology for removal of epidural abscess located at the anterior side of spinal canal with tetraplegia AIS (ASIA – American Spinal Injury Association Impairment Scale) grade B. The abscess was first evacuated by the anterolateral Smith-Robinson approach using Caspar distractor. No other instrumentation was used. T6–T7 laminectomy and decompression was performed two weeks later to manage residual abscess. This improved motor strength to AIS grade D. MRI examination confirmed that the abscess was completely healed without postlaminectomic kyphosis. The anterior approach eliminated a risk of cervical spine kyphosis.
spinal epidural abscess – combined approach
The full wording of this article is available only to registered users. Plese register and you can read this article immediately.
If you are a subscriber, log in and enter the subscriber code from your magazine cover.
If you are not a subscriber, log in for unlimited access to older editions.
SubscriptionSubscribe the Journal
The subscription grants you full access to all the articles.
Issue No.: 3 / 2013
- Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease | views: 173
- Spinocerebellar Ataxia 7 – a Case Report | views: 107
- Cerebral Collateral Circulation – Potential Target for Cerebral Infarction Management | views: 85
- Electrophysiological Examination of the Pelvic Floor | views: 68
- Ultrasound-guided Brain Cavernoma Surgery | views: 60
- Mechanisms of Spasticity and its Assessment | views: 58
- Extracranially Metastasizing Meningiomas | views: 57
- Torticollis at Grisel’s Syndrome – Case Reports | views: 54
- Differences in the Modulation of Cortical Activity in Patients Suffering from Upper Arm Spasticity Following Stroke and Treated with Botulinum Toxin A | views: 52
- Multiple Sclerosis – a Role of Regulatory T Cells in the Pathogenesis and Biological Treatment of the Disease | views: 40