Intramedullary Astrocytoma – a Series of 15 Patients and Literature Overview
Authors: V. Beneš III, O. Bradáč, S. Ostrý, P. Buchvald, F. Kramář, M. Kaiser, P. Suchomel, V. Beneš jr
Authors - sphere of activity: 1 Neurochirurgické oddělení, Krajská nemocnice Liberec, a.s. 2 Neurochirurgická klinika 1. LF UK, IPVZ a ÚVN Praha
Article: Cesk Slov Neurol N 2010; 73/106(2): 169-177
Category: Short Communication
Number of articles displayed: 710x
Intramedullary astrocytoma is one of the less common tumours of the central nervous system. Certain ambiguities in the literature led us to make a retrospective review of a series of our own (2003–2009) and to compare the results with available literature. This series comprised 15 patients (10 women, 5 men), mean age 42.6 years. According to the McCormick scale, 5 patients were class I, 4 class II, 1 class III and 5 class IV. No tumour was radically resected, while 11 patients underwent subtotal resection, 4 only biopsy. Morbidity/mortality was 20% (1 dead and 2 patients deteriorating on the McCormick scale). Thirteen tumours were classified as low‑grade, 1 as grade III and one as glioblastoma. During the follow‑up period (mean 29.3 months) 5 patients died, 4 due to tumour progression. Median overall survival was estimated at 35.8 months. Younger age (p = 0.03), male sex (p = 0.04) and the presence of tumour cyst (p = 0.01) were identified as positive prognostic factors influencing overall survival. Other prognostic factors from the literature are discussed and treatment recommendations are made on the basis of its reviewing.
intramedullary tumor – astrocytoma – survival – prognostic factors – literature review
The full wording of this article is available only to registered users. Plese register and you can read this article immediately.
If you are a subscriber, log in and enter the subscriber code from your magazine cover.
If you are not a subscriber, log in for unlimited access to older editions.
Tento článek si můžete přečíst pokud si aktivujete Premium účet.
SubscriptionSubscribe the Journal
The subscription grants you full access to all the articles.
Issue No.: 3 / 2013
- Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease | views: 126
- Spinocerebellar Ataxia 7 – a Case Report | views: 60
- Electrophysiological Examination of the Pelvic Floor | views: 49
- Ultrasound-guided Brain Cavernoma Surgery | views: 44
- Differences in the Modulation of Cortical Activity in Patients Suffering from Upper Arm Spasticity Following Stroke and Treated with Botulinum Toxin A | views: 35
- Torticollis at Grisel’s Syndrome – Case Reports | views: 30
- X-adrenoleukodystrophy | views: 26
- Significance and Limitations of Visual Evoked Potentials in the Study of Pathophysiology of Migraine | views: 25
- Evaluation of Epidemiological Stroke Data from the IKTA Register. Stroke Incidence in the Zlin District | views: 25
- The Role of a Neurootologist in Identification of Post-radiation Complications in Patients with Vestibular Schwannoma Treated with Leksell Gamma Knife | views: 20