Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy as a Complication of Lymphoma Therapy – a Case Report
Authors: M. Vališ, D. Belada,
R. Taláb, M. Hrudková,
J. Masopust, H. Hornychová, L. Klzo, M. Kanta, J. Malý
Authors - sphere of activity: LF UK a FN Hradec Králové: 1Ne urologická klinika, 2II. interní klinika, 3Psychi atrická klinika, 4Fingerlandův ústav patologie, 5Radiologická klinika, 6Neurochirurgická klinika
Article: Cesk Slov Neurol N 2009; 72/105(2): 159-161
Category: Case Report
Number of articles displayed: 865x
We are describing the case of a 69- ye ar- old male pati ent who had been tre ated since the ye ar 2000 for chronic lymphocytic le ukemi a. Initi ally, he was tre ated with cytostatic agents and rituximab. After the third progressi on of the dise ase, the pati ent received fo ur cycles of FCR (Fludarabine, Cyclophosphamide, Rituximab) since May 2006 with the achi evement of complete remissi on. Two months after the completi on of the therapy, the pati ent developed organic psychosyndrome with right- sided hemiparesis. Evalu ati on of the pati ent’s brain using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) reve aled multiple non‑expanding lesi ons in the white matter in both frontal lobes, non‑opacifying after the administrati on of a contrast agent. Electron microscope examinati on demonstrated JC virus in the cerebrospinal fluid and also in the blo od and urine. Despite antiviral tre atment with high dose of aciclovir, the pati ent’s clinical conditi on progressed into qu adriplegi a during several days. Subsequently the pati ent developed a comatose conditi on with fatal septic shock. Immunohistochemical examinati on of the white matter demonstrated presence of the JC virus and massive demyelinati on. The case was concluded as a rare progressive multifocal le ukoencephalopathy in an immunocompromised pati ent tre ated for a lymphoproliferative dise ase.
progressive multifocal le ukoencephalopathy – immunosuppressi on – rituximab – JC virus – lymphoproliferative disorders
The full wording of this article is available only to registered users. Plese register and you can read this article immediately.
If you are a subscriber, log in and enter the subscriber code from your magazine cover.
If you are not a subscriber, log in for unlimited access to older editions.
Tento článek si můžete přečíst pokud si aktivujete Premium účet.
SubscriptionSubscribe the Journal
The subscription grants you full access to all the articles.
Issue No.: 2 / 2013
- Use of Botulinum Toxin in Neurology | views: 323
- An Association between Depression and Emotion Recognition from the Facial Expression in Mild Cognitive Impairment | views: 209
- Ultra-Early Evacuation of Intracerebral Spontaneous Hematomas | views: 127
- The Changing Face of Parkinsonian Neurodegeneration | views: 121
- Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease | views: 117
- High-Grade Glioma of the Caudal Part of the Spinal Cord Mimicking Myelitis – a Case Report | views: 103
- National Stroke Register (IKTA) – Is It Needed? | views: 102
- Quality of Life in Patients with Dementia | views: 102
- Evaluation of Cortical Activity Associated with Filling of Urinary Bladder Using Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging | views: 87
- Atlantooccipital Dislocation – a Series of Six Patients and Topic Review | views: 83