Rhythmic Movement Disorder
Authors: I. Příhodová
Authors - sphere of activity: Neurologická klinika 1. LF UK a VFN
Article: Cesk Slov Neurol N 2012; 75/108(4): 415-419
Category: Review Article
Number of articles displayed: 220x
Sleep-related rhythmic movements (RM) (jactatio capitis et corporis nocturna) are mostly transient physiological phenomena in infants and toddlers. They are characterized by stereotyped, repetitive rhythmic movements of head, neck and trunk, less commonly of extremities (head banging, body rocking, head and body rolling, leg banging or rolling). In some cases they can persist into childhood or adulthood and may be associated with sleep fragmentation, impaired daytime functioning or with a risk of injury. RM with clinical consequences are known as rhythmic movement disorder (RMD). RM occur during sleep onset or during superficial sleep but they can be present during any sleep stage. RM can be very intense and disturb sleep of the entire family. Aetiology and pathogenesis are unknown. RM in infants and toddlers do not require any treatment. Various psychotherapeutic techniques and short-term administration of benzodizepines are used to manage RMD. Obstructive sleep apnea or restless legs syndrome can play a role as a trigger of RM and nocturnal videopolysomnography may be helpful for accurate diagnosis of RMD and associated sleep disorders.
rhythmic movements in sleep – jactatio capitis and corporis nocturna – rhythmic movement disorder
The full wording of this article is available only to registered users. Plese register and you can read this article immediately.
If you are a subscriber, log in and enter the subscriber code from your magazine cover.
If you are not a subscriber, log in for unlimited access to older editions.
Tento článek si můžete přečíst pokud si aktivujete Premium účet.
SubscriptionSubscribe the Journal
The subscription grants you full access to all the articles.
Issue No.: 2 / 2013
- Use of Botulinum Toxin in Neurology | views: 325
- An Association between Depression and Emotion Recognition from the Facial Expression in Mild Cognitive Impairment | views: 211
- Ultra-Early Evacuation of Intracerebral Spontaneous Hematomas | views: 127
- The Changing Face of Parkinsonian Neurodegeneration | views: 121
- Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease | views: 118
- National Stroke Register (IKTA) – Is It Needed? | views: 103
- High-Grade Glioma of the Caudal Part of the Spinal Cord Mimicking Myelitis – a Case Report | views: 103
- Quality of Life in Patients with Dementia | views: 102
- Evaluation of Cortical Activity Associated with Filling of Urinary Bladder Using Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging | views: 87
- Atlantooccipital Dislocation – a Series of Six Patients and Topic Review | views: 83